Post Secondary Information

The purpose of this page is to provide students and parents with information about receiving support services at a post-secondary institution.

When making decisions about post-secondary institutions, the first thing you should do is contact the institution your student is interested in attending directly. You will need to ask about their student services for students with disabilities. Once you contact that department, ask them what type of documentation they need in order for your student to receive services. Different schools require different types of documentation. Remember, it is up to the individual institution as to whether or not they will accept the documentation and allow for accommodations.

You can contact the institution before you apply or wait until you have applied. However, do not wait until your student starts their first semester to make contact with student services. It is so important to have their accommodations in place prior to the first day. Most schools recommend you call and/or visit student services prior to the start of your student's first semester.

Once your student has been accepted and accommodations set up, it will be up to your student to advocate for himself/herself. Since most college students are 18 years or older, they are in charge of their educational rights.

Clemson University has a nationally recognized student services program. I have attended a workshop on students transitioning to higher learning. They provided a wealth of information on this subject. They are very open to discussing this process with anyone that is interested...even if Clemson isn't your first choice.

If you have any questions or concerns regarding this, please feel free to call me or email.

Click to access Transition to Higher Education Information: